On December 15, my dad and I (Nacho Flay) hosted our first annual A Very Flay Holiday live on Instagram. (You can catch it here!) We made cocktails, napped, groomed ourselves, gnawed on a freeze-dried treat bag, and answered your most burning holiday questions (fine, I let my dad, Chef Bobby Flay, handle that part.)
The highlight of the evening was watching my dad make my Nacho’s Famous Catini. Because I’m such a generous cat, I’m sharing the recipe (with my notes) below.
Just like all of my recipes, Catinis are just for cats. And unlike Martinis, they’re meant to be enjoyed ‘round the clock.
- Two saucers
- Mixing vessel (my dad used a small pitcher)
- Cat-friendly martini glass
- Optional: Spice grinder or mortar and pestle
Instructions (for your human):
Make the Catini Mix:
Nacho’s notes: Because my dad is a ~Chef~, he mixed my Shredded Chicken with Shredded Turkey recipes together. Their brothiness lends itself to the Catini format, plus, they provide a lap-able texture that is key to its success.
- Open up to 2 wet food recipes. Dispense into a container of your choice
- Stir well
Create a crushed treat rim
Nacho’s notes: Now it might seem like gilding the lily to create a pulverized treat-lined rim for your cat’s cocktail, but you’d be wrong. It takes mere minutes and the burst of umami (and our obvious satisfaction) makes it worth the extra effort.
- Grind or crush your favorite Made by Nacho freeze-dried treat to a fine consistency (think Kosher salt)
- Pour a tablespoon’s worth of Catini mix onto saucer #1
- Pour a small amount of pulverized treats onto saucer #2
- Invert your martini glass onto Saucer #1 to wet the rim
- Then, invert the glass onto the pulverized treats to coat the rim, just like a Margarita!
- Pour the Catini mix into the rimmed martini glass
- Garnish with a few whole treats
Bobby Flay’s Winter Chai Citrus Punch - Single Serving
Nacho’s notes: I napped during most of the punch-making, but I’ve got faith that your humans can execute this recipe without my input.
- 1 cup strong chai tea, freshly brewed
- *2 chai tea bags steeped for at least 10 minutes in boiling water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise pods
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- ¾ cup bourbon
- 1 split sized bottle Prosecco, chilled
- Additional fresh and/ or dried orange wheels, cinnamon sticks, and star anise for garnish
- Pour the freshly brewed hot tea in a small heat-proof bowl or pitcher, add cinnamon, star anise, and honey, stir until honey is fully melted and combined. Chill until completely cold. *This can be done up to a day in advance
- Once cold, add lemon juice, orange juice, bitters, and bourbon, stir to combine.
- Pour into coupe or rocks style glasses, top each glass with a splash of Prosecco, add chosen garnishes and serve
- Make a punch bowl’s worth! Use 4x each ingredient. For exact measurements and serving tips and tricks visit BobbyFlay.com